Safety — Hiring Standards — Background Check — Mandated Reporters
Camp Manitou’s priority in caring for other people’s children is to return them at the end of the season with only happy memories.
As the owners of this program, we accept full responsibility for doing everything possible to ensure that our camp has selected appropriate staff with only healthy intentions.
The 21st Century has taught us that too many inappropriate adults continue their efforts to get close to children at congregate care programs, including camps. Please understand that no one is given a “pass” and permitted to work here, simply because they happen to be:
- Family members including children
- Old and valued friends
- Former Camp Directors
- Previous staff who have demonstrated questionable behaviors with campers
Barriers to Employment
If your life includes any of the nine statements below, please consider employment elsewhere that does not include work with children.
- Criminal record involving children
- History of any violent behaviors
- Ever listed in an abuse registry
- Suicide attempts or ideation
- Drug addiction at any age
- Domestic violence
- Fired from any congregate care work
- Watches child pornography
- Contacts children online without parental permission
Staff applying for any position at my camp need to read the following questions and carefully answer them.