It is our goal to provide a positive experience for all campers. One of the ways we accomplish this is by limiting electronics in camp, thereby encouraging our campers to socialize through traditional camp activities. This policy also safeguards and protects your son(s). ANY ITEM WITH AN ON/OFF SWITCH AND DIGITAL SCREEN IS PROHIBITED.
THIS INCLUDES ANY ITEM THAT CAN MAKE PHONE CALLS, SEND TEXT MESSAGES OR EMAIL, ACCESS THE INTERNET, PLAY VIDEOS OR GAMES.
Please see below for specifics…
Cell Phones are not permitted. Part of the camp experience involves learning to develop independent living skills, which, for a number of reasons, cell phones may diminish. Cell phones found in camp will be
confiscated and returned to your son when he leaves camp. If your son is traveling by plane (and by
himself), and you are sending him with a phone, please complete the Cell Phone Registration Form. Once at camp, we will collect, store, and return for his travel home.
Cell Phone Registration Form
We ask that ALL families complete the Cell Phone Registration Form – whether your son is traveling with one or not.
Video Game Players
Video game players such as Gameboys, Nintendo DS, and PSPs are not permitted.
We do not allow Kindles, IPads or any other forms of e-reader. Books and magazines are welcome.
Any IPod, or digital music player, that has a screen for videos, photos, games, is not allowed. If your son would like to listen to music, a book on “tape”, or for a tutoring lesson, he may use an IPod shuffle or nano that is ONLY FOR AUDIO. IPod shuffles can be purchased at Apple and Bestbuy.
Please Do Not Send Packages to Camp
Packages often create an unhealthy competition among campers. Also, the anticipation of receiving package can shift the emphasis at camp from fun to awaiting the arrival of the mail.
Our policy, detailed below, extends to all parents, relatives and friends. In order to ensure fairness, the following will be strictly enforced.
What is allowed?
- Regular first class letter envelopes
- Magazines, books and photographs that fit in any 9 × 12 flat envelope are fine to send occasionally. These flat envelopes will be opened by our office staff and distributed through our regular mail system.
- If your son arrives at camp and is missing equipment, our office staff will contact you and an exception will be made to the package policy.
- A College League item (shirt, hat, shorts, etc). We announce the College Teams early on in the camp season, and will post your son’s team in your myManitou account. Please email the camp office if you are having a College League item sent from an outside company.
What is not allowed?
- Any package larger than a 9 × 12 flat envelope (except College League items)
- Anything that does not meet the above criteria
- Anything that contains food or non-reading material
As with everything we do, the camp aims to keep the value and safety of your son’s experience at Manitou on the highest level.